Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dancing In Toronto








This week at rehearsal we worked on the show "Believe", and we will continue with that for the next 3 weeks. It is a brand new full-length production that will be performed in the Walt Disney Theater on the ship. I am an understudy in that show for a part that is not in the entire show, so I have had some days off here and there.

In that time that I had off, I took dance class at 3 other studios. Monday night I took a jazz class at a studio close to our rehearsal space. Tuesday afternoon I took another jazz class at a studio in the northeast area, which was close to the first studio I went to two weeks ago. And lastly, on Tuesday and Wednesday morning I took an open company class with the modern dance company, Toronto Dance Theater. The marks 4 different places I have taken class at! :)

My dance teacher growing up, Susan Smith, is from Canada and has always spoke very highly of Toronto Dance Theater. She has encouraged me to audition for them before, so I was very interested in taking class with them. Each day a different company member teaches the class. Tuesday was a modern class, and Wednesday was a ballet class. I really enjoyed taking class with them, because they are professionals. It was great to be surrounded by their energy and their skill level; and it wasn't too intimidating. The studio was on Winchester Street, which may be the most beautiful street I have seen here in Toronto. All the photos posted here are taken on that street.

Saturday night I went to another dance performance. It was a modern dance company called Dancemakers, who are based out of Toronto. The theater was gorgeous, which explains why it was $32 for a student ticket. The dancing was pretty good, but the artistry was the more interesting part for me. It was not something I would have to see again, but I can totally appreciate their work. That company also holds open company class, which I plan to take sometime.

This weekend I plan to see 2 or 3 more shows. There is another modern dance show, as well as 2 cirque shows. One is called Cirque Eloize, which is a french cirque company and also Cirque du Soleil has a vaudeville-style show here right now too. I am so excited to see all of them!

Overall I am trying to keep myself motivated with my dancing. I try to give myself class on days that I do not take class. My time here has made me realize how much I still want to pursue my dance career after this contract. I am forever grateful for this opportunity to travel and work for a great company, but I am missing dancing terribly. I know now more than ever that I must try to pursue dancing for a dance company when I get off the ship. :)

Tata for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment